Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Testimonial - Joy for knowledge combined with a joy for giving and a sense of community

When my wife and I found Countryside five years ago, I had never heard of the Montessori method of teaching. Since then, I have come to value (and be amazed by!) these learning methods; their intuitive nature, their accessibility by young children, and their effectiveness. Even more impressive to me are the citizenship lessons my children have learned. They are willing teachers/coaches to younger children; they have a genuine and informed interest in their school, community, and nation; they delight in the natural world and in solving problems with their peers. All this by the ages of 6, 8, and 10! I couldn't ask for a better parenting partner than Countryside.

Two things stand out in my oldest child's first grade year at Countryside. The first was him begging (begging!) to be grilled on square roots (which he had just learned to do abstractly - that is, in his head). I threw out 9 and then 16, which he answered quickly and followed up with, "Dad, those are too easy!" Next came "40" from me, and after a moment, "Six, remainder 4!" from him. Even more memorable was his out-of-the-blue decision later that year to ask the children coming to his birthday party to bring a gift suitable for a local charity instead of a present for him. Nothing illustrates how our family has been touched by CMS better than those two anecdotes - a joy for knowledge combined with a joy for giving and a sense of community. Thank you Countryside!

Steve Cummings, Countryside Parent